I first found Clem Snide back in around 2000 or 2001 when they released Ghost of Fashion, and have followed both the band’s releases and Eef Barzelay’s solo work ever since. I certainly never though back then that he’d end up staying in our house and that I’d interview him and record his songs in the living room one day.
For someone really quite shy in person Eef because incredibly chatty as soon as we turned the mics on, and the interview itself is probably one of the longest and most interesting of any of the Toad Sessions we’ve published yet. Fiona, who both filmed and photographed the session also made the most amazing cookies (see the front panel of the video above), and we fed them pheasant, of all things, before the Edinburgh show. Not your usual tour food, I have to confess, and I felt just a little embarrassed, but it was tasty, and at least better than the usual service station sandwiches.
As per usual we have the interview podcast below, freely downloadable mp3s of the session tracks from the Soundcloud player, and four individual song videos as well, before the podcast track listing at the bottom of the page. As well as Fiona, I was also helped out with filming and recording by Neil from Meursault.
More sessions videosVimeo YouTube
AudioDownload session tracks
Full interview podcast
01. Eef Barzelay – In the Service of… (Toad Session) (00.22)
02. Heligoats – Fishsticks (14.15)
03. Mark Woods – Giving Up (18.30)
04. Eef Barzelay – Nick Drake Tape (Toad Session) (31.43)
05. Lambchop – Nashville Parent (39.42)
06. Bill Callahan – Javelin Unlanding (45.37)
07. Eef Barzelay – Grace (Toad Session) (1.02.19)
08. Louvin Brothers – Satan’s Jewelled Crown (1.11.05)
09. Washington Phillips – Mother’s Last Word to Her Son (1.14.07)
10. Lydia Mendoza – Sigue Adalante (1.17.01)
11. Eef Barzelay – All the Way (Toad Session) (1.26.02)